Thursday, August 26, 2010

today I ran...

I ran 4 miles. It's been a while but it felt good. The prairie path is a nice place to run: flat, through trees, sounds of trains, and many people around. At the end of my run I found a park called "triangle park." When I was little, in Japan, there was this park we used to call triangle park because of its shape. Fond memories drew me into the park to the swings. I closed my eyes to see if I could still feel the sensation of flying. It's not quite as vivid as when you're little. I think getting older and bigger makes gravity seem a lot more real.
Parks are interesting things now. The ground of this park was made out of some kind of squishy rubber. All the play equipment was made out of varieties of colors of plastic and metals. There were hoops to climb through and walls to climb up and a slide that looked like it was from the space era. "what happened to the good old wooden jungle gym?" I wondered. Everything is just too safe. The kids fall down on this squishy rubber and they don't even have to pull little pieces of gravel out of their gash on the knee. And slivers, when will they ever get slivers? That is a mom's specialty...pulling out slivers. Safe is good, I suppose. I don't think I would want my little girl falling through two wooden planks on a hanging bridge and break her nose (like Carrie did). Nor would I want my son splitting open his head on a rock (like Kenji). But, at the same time, it builds such character. :)
Safety is good.
Those were my thoughts at the park as I swang!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

today I ran too... down the hall with two little purple tubes and two little green tubes for two little babies who had a code purple. And I ran from my bench back to hem with a blue tube for a critical stat lady who was hit by a car. She is my age and was riding her bike while a 23 year old was texting. He went across the center line, side swiped an suv and both of them spun out and hit the lady on the bike. sigh.

I just reread all your stories at my lab bench. And smiled and cried. You're such a love. such a dear love. i sure love you. Mom

Kate said...

Yah, there's something to be said for playground injuries. As a mom, I'm both relieved and a bit saddened that my kids probably won't have those experiences. I remember ripping nearly all the skin off my elbow from crashing on my bike in a gravel parking lot. And no adults in sight. And guess what? I lived. :)

Paula said...

I say bring on the bumps and bruises....but only the little ones moms can fix with kisses.
Miss you Krissy!