Friday, May 9, 2008

Sturgis...day four

So because I had not made up my mind yet I decided this morning that I wouldn't have any animals when I have a house. After cleaning up two throw-ups and one poop from three of the animals in this house I made my decision. Animals are best in the zoo or in a fish tank (or at my parents' or siblings' or friends' homes). That was my final decision. Now I will not be swayed into thinking that dogs and cats make good pets.

Last night I thought there would be a battle with spinach but since I cooked it the Japanese way (with shoyu and mirin) Tipper ate it, pretended he didn't like it, asked if he "had" to eat the second bite, and quickly popped it in his mouth when I said yes. No fuss or nothing. Too bad he likes spinach now. He's going to be quite the vegetable eater after this week. Carrots and spinach in one day.

We found some more shrinky dink paper. The kids LOVE shrinky dink. We're going into Rapid City to the craft store to see if we can find anymore. That is between school and soccer practice. Hopefully we can make it there and back.

I am also very thankful that I only have one dad. The girls' dad all of a sudden stated that he is going to drive up to see the girls tonight and take them to dinner and watch their soccer games tomorrow. That is after McKenna got up her courage to tell him that she would rather he didn't because it is "mom's weekend." She cried last night saying that she told him what she wanted for the first time and he didn't even respect it. I was angry with him and felt so sorry for her...told her she had done a good job and I was so sorry she had to stand up for herself to strong men who did not respect her boundaries. I am thankful for my dad who listens to me and taught me that my "no" has authority. Poor dear girl. Always putting on a happy, kind face to everyone and never standing up for herself.

I've decided that I need to make sure that the oldest child doesn't always do all of the work around here. I started to assign some tasks to Kelly and Tipper last night instead of just to Kenna. It's easy to just keep asking her to do everything because she is so willing and able. But the others just get swept up under her kindness and obedience and are not quick to help. I wonder if that happened in our house. I think I can see myself in Kelly. Just sliding around under her sister's kindness and diligence and people never think that she is not as willing. Yeah. I think that might be what happened in our house too. Sorry, Cair. You never got all the praise you deserved for being so good and kind and willing. Maybe Kelly and I still have some hope.

Now there is sunshine and the rain has left greener grass and melted snow. It should become summer at last!

Happy day in May!

2 comments:

cair. said...

sweet kris, i don't think that happened. i usually made faces at you and told you to help and "krissy, stop being lazy", and "i'll tell on you, krissy", and "it's not fair, krissy." etc etc. so don't you worry. mckenna is a gem.

cair. said...

oh sorry, i didn't finish: so, if you had any inclination to "kelly" out of chores, (which you didn't), i was "kind", "gracious", insistent and bossy enough to quickly remind you. :) don't you wish we could see a video of ourselves?!